Pod::Simple 3.09 Hits the CPAN

I spent some time over the last few days helping Allison fix bugs and close tickets for a new version of Pod::Simple. I'm not sure how I convinced Allison to suddenly dedicate her day to fixing Pod::Simple bugs and putting out a new release. She must've had some studies or Parrot spec work she wanted to get out of or something.

Either way, it's got some useful fixes and improvements:

  • The XHTML formatter now supports tables of contents (via the poorly-named-but-consistent-with-the-HTML-formatter index parameter).

  • You can now reformat verbatim blocks via the strip_verbatim_indent parameter/method. Because you have to indent verbatim blocks (code examples) with one or more spaces, you end up with those spaces remaining in output. Just have a look at an example on search.cpan.org. See how the code in the Synopsis is indented? That's because it's indented in the POD. But maybe you don't want it to be indented in your final output. If not, you can strip out leading spaces via strip_verbatim_indent. Pass in the text to strip out:

    $parser->strip_verbatim_indent('  ');

    Or a code reference that figures out what to strip out. I'm fond of stripping based on the indentation of the first line, like so:

    $new->strip_verbatim_indent(sub {
          my $lines = shift;
          (my $indent = $lines->[0]) =~ s/\S.*//;
          return $indent;
      });
    
  • You can now use the nocase parameter to Pod::Simple::PullParser to tell the parser to ignore the case of POD blocks when searching for author, title, version, and description information. This is a hack that Graham has used for a while on search.cpan.org, in part because I nagged him about my modules, which don't use uppercase =head1 text. Thanks Graham!

  • Fixed entity encoding in the XHTML formatter. It was failing to encode entities everywhere except code spans and verbatim blocks. Oops. It also now properly encodes E<sol> and E<verbar>, as well as numeric entities.

  • Multiparagraph items now work properly in the XHTML formatter, as do text items (definition lists).

  • A POD tag found inside a complex POD tag (e.g., C<<< C<foo> >>>) is now properly parsed as text and entities instead of a tag embedded in a tag (e.g., <foo>). This is in compliance with perlpod.

This last item is the only change I think might lead to problems. I fixed it in response to a bug report from Schwern. The relevant bit from the perlpod spec is:

A more readable, and perhaps more “plain” way is to use an alternate set of delimiters that doesn’t require a single “>” to be escaped. With the Pod formatters that are standard starting with perl5.5.660, doubled angle brackets (“<<” and “>>”) may be used if and only if there is whitespace right after the opening delimiter and whitespace right before the closing delimiter! For example, the following will do the trick:

C<< $a <=> $b >>

In fact, you can use as many repeated angle‐brackets as you like so long as you have the same number of them in the opening and closing delimiters, and make sure that whitespace immediately follows the last ’<’ of the opening delimiter, and immediately precedes the first “>” of the closing delimiter. (The whitespace is ignored.) So the following will also work:

C<<< $a <=> $b >>>
C<<<<  $a <=> $b     >>>>

And they all mean exactly the same as this:

C<$a E<lt>=E<gt> $b>

Although all of the examples use C<< >>, it seems pretty clear that it applies to all of the span tags ( B<< >>, I<< >>, F<< >>, etc.). So I made the change so that tags embedded in these “complex” tags, as comments in Pod::Simple call them, are not treated as tags. That is, all < and > characters are encoded.

Unfortunately, despite what the perlpod spec says (at least in my reading), Sean had quite a few pathological examples in the tests that expected POD tags embedded in complex POD tags to work. Here's an example:

L<<< Perl B<Error E<77>essages>|perldiag >>>

Before I fixed the bug, that was expected to be output as this XML:

<L to="perldiag" type="pod">Perl <B>Error Messages</B></L>

After the bug fix, it's:

<L content-implicit="yes" section="Perl B&#60;&#60;&#60; Error E&#60;77&#62;essages" type="pod">&#34;Perl B&#60;&#60;&#60; Error E&#60;77&#62;essages&#34;</L>

Well, there's a lot more crap that Pod::Simple puts in there, but the important thing to note is that neither the B<> nor the E<> is evaluated as a POD tag inside the L<<< >>> tag. If that seems inconsistent at all, just remember that POD tags still work inside non-complex POD tags (that is, when there is just one set of angle brackets:

L<Perl B<Error E<77>essages>|perldiag>

I'm pretty sure that few users were relying on POD tags working inside complex POD tags anyway. At least I hope so. I'm currently working up a patch for blead that updates Pod::Simple in core, so it will be interesting to see if it breaks anyone's POD. Here's to hoping it doesn't!

Backtalk

Ricardo Signes wrote:

great!

FWIW, I think your changes make sense. Complex formatting codes are a pain, even moreso than the rest of the formatting code system. I've been happy to avoid dealing with them in my Pod endeavors, but I'm glad somebody is sorting out that stuff.